Part two of three recipes I made with one single lobster. Here I will be using the eggs that were under the belly of the female lobster and which I scooped up with a spoon. The little biology I know of lobster is that the eggs first start inside the female. A female lobster mates after she has shed her shell – which lobsters do almost every two months in a process called moulting – and that explains how the male lobster can penetrate another lobster.
The female can keep the live sperm inside her for a long time and can decide when to fertilise her several thousand eggs. The eggs are carried for nine to 12 months, after which they spend an equal time attached to the ‘swimmerets’ under her belly.
So if you do have a lobster with eggs, do not just discard it.
I first rinsed them under tap water to remove any impurities.
Then I boiled water and poured that over the eggs in a sieve. The eggs turned a dark orange like salmon eggs.
I made a sauce of eggs and cream and cooked some zucchini slices with shallots and combined that with bucatini pasta – a thick spaghetti-type pasta with a lengthwise hole in it. The thicker size works good for a sauce to cling to while the hole keeps the cooking time down and prevents the pasta from becoming too much of a chew.
- The cooked eggs of a lobster
- One zucchini ( I used half a green and half a yellow zucchini)
- Three shallots
- 10 cl of cream
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 150 grammes of bucatini or spaghetti
- Salt and pepper
- Clean and slice the zucchini in half-moons. Peel and chop the shallots. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Cook the zucchini for 10 minutes in some water, drain.
- Put some olive oil in a skillet, add the dried zucchini, the shallots, some salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta for the indicated time, drain (flush with some cold water to stop the cooking process but use the cold water sparingly in order not to cool down the pasta too much).
- Put the cream in a small pan and heat it up until the point where it starts to form bubbles at the bottom. Turn the heat down, stir with a spoon and add the lobster eggs, stir again and set aside.
- Put the zucchini and shallots in a serving bowl, add the pasta and mix thoroughly. Add the halved cherry tomatoes and mix again. Add some pepper and salt, mindful of the saltiness of the lobster eggs.
- Finally, pour the egg/cream mixture over the top and serve.