I must confess that this dish came together because what I had left in the refrigerator when we wanted to have veal kidney. There was still half a cooked cauliflower waiting for use.
The rognons are popular in France. In the Netherlands, most people would not think about eating it. In England, the kidneys of the adult cows enter in the steak and kidney pie.
The first time I ate kidney it was as a kind of test by my then new boss in France in a restaurant. There I was served a whole kidney with some mustard sauce and I not only passed the test but also started to like it.
Cut-up kidney is easier for frying, what I did with the following dish.
- One veal kidney
- 150 grams of button mushrooms
- Half a cooked cauliflower
- Three cloves of garlic
- Three tablespoons of olive oil
- 200 grams of penne pasta
- Bring a large quantity of water to the boil, add salt or a veal stock cube and cook the pasta. Drain
- Chop the garlic, put oil in a skilled and brown lightly
- Put the cauliflower in a blender; add the oil and garlic and mix.
- Clean and cut the mushrooms. Put butter in a skillet, add the mushrooms and cook until brown and add some Madeira.
- Cut the kidney into parts, melt butter in a large skillet, when hot add the kidneys, turn after a few minutes, add salt and pepper and some Madeira.
- Combine the pasta, mushrooms, cauliflower paste and kidneys, check for salt and present.