The butcher had some nice veal kidneys – bright purple in white kidney fat that he removed for me. I like kidneys but we do not eat them often because of the high cholesterol content. But they are a source for many minerals.
Cauliflower has no cholesterol and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
I thought about the combinations because there is some similarity between the kidneys and the flower parts. I did not make a separate sauce, like mustard, as that would mainly add fat. I reduced some white wine at the end and poured that over the kidneys.
- One veal kidney, cleaned and cut into pieces
- One cauliflower
- A glass of white wine
- Wash the cauliflower, remove the stem, cut in pieces and put I a bowl of water with vinegar to remove any remaining insects or dirt. After half an hour, drain and put in a pan with water and some salt, cook for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside
- Put a knob butter in a frying pan, let it melt and add the kidneys, cook for 7 minutes, stirring and turning regularly. Add a few twists of the pepper mill.
- Remove the kidneys with a slotted spoon into a sieve.
- Heat the remaining liquid and add the wine, reduce it to a few spoonfuls.
- Present the cauliflower and kidneys and add the cooking juice.